Gun-Free Zones are what murderers like most
Public shootings in which armed citizens ended the massacres, saving lives:
- Clackamas Town Center Mall, Portland, Oregon, December 2012: Jacob Tyler Roberts started shooting Christmas shoppers at the mall, killing two and injuring a third. Shopper Nick Meli, who hadn’t noticed that the mall was a gun-free zone, pointed his otherwise legal gun at Roberts as he paused to reload. The next shot was fired by Roberts into his own head, killing himself. (Meli aimed, but didn’t shoot, because there were bystanders behind the Roberts and Meli did not want to risk harming them.)
- Mayan Palace Theater, San Antonio, Texas, December 2012: Jesus Manuel Garcia shoots at a movie theater, a police car and bystanders from the nearby China Garden restaurant; as he enters the movie theater, guns blazing, an armed off-duty cop shoots Garcia four times, stopping the attack.
- Winnemucca, Nevada, 2008: Ernesto Villagomez opens fire in a crowded restaurant killing two; an unnamed individual with a concealed carry permit shoots and kills Villagomez.
- Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, Virginia, 2002: Peter Odighizuwa shoots and kills the dean, a professor, and one student. As he reloads, two armed students point their guns at him, allowing a third to tackle him.
- Santana High School, Santee, California, 2001: Student Charles Andrew Williams shoots and kills two classmates and wounds 13 others, when an off-duty cop who happened to be bringing his daughter to school that day points his gun at the shooter, holding him until more police arrive.
- Parker Middle School, Edinboro, Pennslyvania, 1998: Student Andrew Jerome Wurst shoots up a school dance, killing one teacher and wounding another teacher and two students. An owner of a nearby restaurant uses his shotgun to stop Wurst before he can kill any more.
- Pearl High School, Pearl, Mississippi, 1997: After student Luke Woodham shot and killed two people and wounded seven others, he got in his car to drive to the junior high school to continue the bloodshed (similar to what Seung-Hui Cho did at Virginia Tech University 10 years later), when assistant principal Joel Myrick retrieves his gun from the glove box of his truck in the school parking lot, walks over to Woodham’s car and disarms him, ending the murder spree.
By contrast, in so-called “GUN-FREE ZONES,” there have been the following mass killings, at which the shooter killed far more people because there was no armed resistance to end the shootings sooner:
- Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, Connecticut, December 2012: After kiiling his mother elsewhere, Adam Lanza kills 20 children and 6 school personnel before committing suicide once police arrive.
- Sikh temple, Oak Creek, Wisconsin, 2012: White-supremacist Wade Michael Page kills six people and wounds four others before being shot in the abdomen by a police officer, and then killing himself.
- Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, Virginia, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho kills 32 and wounds 17 others in two separate attacks, approximately two hours apart, before committing suicide.
- West Nickel Mines Amish School, Bart Township, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 2006: Charles Carl Roberts IV kills five, wounds five others before committing suicide.
- Columbine High School, Littleton, Colorado, 1999: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold murder 12 students and 1 teacher, and wound 21 others before committing suicide.*
* It should be noted that the body count attributed to Columbine killers Harris and Klebold would have been vastly larger if the home-made bombs they had planted at various places in the school all detonated. As it was, only one of their bombs exploded, causing injuries, but not any deaths. Advocates of more strict gun control laws generally ignore the bombing aspect of the Columbine massacre because it tends to undermine their contention that eliminating guns would prevent mass school murders from happening.